- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) – 10 to 15 medium-sized, grated
- Pre-cooked rice – 2 cups (any unpolished, traditional rice)
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Dried red chillis – 4-5
- Turmeric – 2 tsps
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 10 – 12
- Coconut oil – 2 tbsp
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the seasoning.
- When the mustard starts to sputter, add the grated Amla and saute for a few minutes.
- When the Amla is cooked, turn off the heat, add the rice and mix well.
- Add salt to taste!
Indian households are not unfamiliar with Amla; we eat it raw, we pickle it, we make dal with it, and even sweets! Other than being delicious and incredibly versatile in its culinary life, Amla is also used medically to decrease high levels of cholesterol and reduce pain in people with Osteoarthritis.
We hope you enjoy Navadarshanam’s Amla Rice recipe. Do write to us/send us pictures if you try it out!