The local food movement has been gaining momentum across India for quite some time now. Apart from a number of farm-to-table restaurants springing up in the cities, there’s also the more obvious trend of farmer’s markets on the rise.
What is a farmer’s market?
Unlike what we know as a market in general, where we buy from an aggregator who has sourced from hundreds of farmers, a farmer’s market is a place where farmers sell their products directly to consumers. Depending on the season and availability, this usually comprises of the freshest produce of vegetables, fruits, pulses and staples, oils, healthy dairy products, whole grains such as millets, and more.
The idea is to break the rural-urban divide, meet the farmers who are growing your food, engage in interactive activities, try out local cuisines and and bring the community together to celebrate food! Many of these farmers – be it private or government-owned – are held area-wise or within residential complexes in bigger cities like Bangalore, whereas in smaller cities and towns, the market is more centralised. Not only does this make people more aware of the food they’re eating and where it comes from, it’s also eliminating the middleman and creating environmental awareness by promoting #BYOB aka Bring Your Own Bag to reduce the use of plastic.
While the concept has been around for decades in other parts of the world, in India, the growing culture surrounding farmer’s market is like a second Green Revolution. We’re particularly excited by this trend because many of the participating farms and farmers also offer CSA packages, wherein they directly send consumers fresh produce on a weekly basis.
CSAHealthBox compiled a list of some active farmer’s markets around the country to help you navigate your grocery shopping:
- Delhi Organic Farmers Market – Every Sunday, 9am to 12pm at The Park Hotel, Parliament Street
- Farmers Market Malcha Shudh-O-Ann – Every Sunday, 7.30am to 11am at the Community Center, Malcha Marg
- Gurgaon Organic Farmers Market – Every Sunday, 8am to 11am at Club Patio, South City 1
- The Earth Collective – Every Sunday, 8am to 1pm at Sunder Nursery, Hazrat Nizamuddin
- Bhoomi Santhe – Every first and third Saturday, 9am to 1pm at Bhoomi College, off Sarjapur Road
- Raithara Mandi – Everyday except Monday, 3am onwards in Yelahanka
- Farmizen Farmer’s Market – Few times a year – Follow their Facebook page to stay updated
- Luke’s Farmer’s Market – Few times a year at RESET – Follow Luke Coutinho’s Facebook page to stay updated
- The Juhu Organic Farmers Market by SHARAN India – Every Sunday, 10am to 1.30pm at Pushpa Nursee Park, Juhu
- The Farmer’s Market, Bandra – Every Sunday, 10 am to 3pm at D’Monte Park, Bandra West
- Malad Organic Farmers’ Market by ROOTS – Every Saturday, 10am to 2pm at HyperCity, Malad (West)
- Versova’s Organic Farmers Market – Every Sunday, 10am to 2pm at Harkat Studios, Bungalow 75, Aram Nagar
- Maharashtra State Agriculture Produce Marketing Board Market in Nariman Point – Every Sunday, 9am to 3 pm at Vidhan Bhavan, Mantralaya
- Maharashtra State Agriculture Produce Marketing Board Market in Vashi – Every Sunday, 3pm to 7pm at Sacred Heart School, Sector 4
- Cuffe Parade Organic Market by Better Foods – Every Sunday, 8am to 1pm at the parking lot of Maker Arcade, Cuffe Parade
- Luke’s Farmers Market – Few times a year at Holistic Health Store – Follow Luke Coutinho’s Facebook page to stay updated
- Cafe Zoe’s Farmer Market – Few times a year at Cafe Zoe, Todi Mills, Lower Parel. Follow TARU to stay updated
- The Mumbai Market by Karen Anand – Few times a year – Follow their Facebook page to stay updated
- Organic Shandy – Every Friday – 10.30am to 1pm and 4pm to 7pm; and Every Saturday – 8.39 am to 4pm at New no. 177 Luz Church Road, Mylapore
- Organic Farmer’s Market – Open throughout the year at 1, 21st Cross Street, Indranagar, Adyar
- Shree Swami Samarth Farmers Market – Held throughout the week across Pune. Check their weekly schedule here to find one close to you.
- The Conscious Community Market – Every third Sunday of the month, 10am to 1.30pm at Monalisa Kalagram, Koregaon Park
- Viman Nagar Farmer’s Market – Every Thursday, 4pm to 10pm at the open plot near Coffee Jar in Viman Nagar
- Yerwada Farmer’s Market – Every Wednesday, 5pm onwards near the water pump station, Yerwada
- The Pune Farmers Market by Karen Anand – Once a year – Follow their Facebook page to stay updated
- Chandigarh Organic Farmers’ Market – Every Saturday, 4pm to 7pm at Kartar Asra Road, near Sukhna Lake
- Chandigarh Organic Mandi – Every Monday at the Fruit and Vegetable Market in Sector 26
- Ahmedabad Farmers Market – Few times a year at Green Grids, Rancharda. Follow their Facebook page to stay updated.
- Mei Ramew Farmers’ Market by the North East Slow Food and Agrobiodiversity Society – Every month at the NESFAS premises in Laitumkhrah. Follow their website to know about the next one.
- Good Seeds Sunday Mela – Few times a year at Saptaparni, Jubilee Hills. Follow their Facebook page to stay updated.
- Sri Sri Farmers Market – Every Sunday at the HEC Market
- Farmer’s Market of Jaipur – Year-long community market space at D 69 (Basement), JLN Marg, near Teen Moorty
- Sunday Organic Farmers Market – Every Sunday, 9am to 11am at Vinoba Gyan Mandir, B-190, University Marg, Bapu Nagar
- Kodaikanal’s Organic Farmers Market – Every Saturday, 4pm to 7pm in the main Town Square
Find the farmer’s market closest to you and go make a day of it with your friends and family. More importantly, ask the farmers whether they offer vegetable boxes to be delivered to your home and support a local farmer!
We’d love to hear about your experience too, so feel free to tag us on social media with #csahealthbox with your photographs and feedback 🙂